Sunday, January 28, 2007

Seriously

So this morning I awoke to the sound of someone pounding on a door. At first I thought it might be my door but then heard a man yelling for someone and realized it was my neighbours door. He was pounding and yelling and demanding that she open the door. When she wouldn't he accused her of cheating on him. Somebody went downstairs to get security and eventually this guy's buddy convinced him that they should go since someone was calling the cops. I had a hard time getting to sleep after that 'cause my mind wouldn't stop.
My impulse when something like that happens is to somehow intervene. Kristin's point of view is that I should not endanger myself and need to let the police handle it. I recognize that my first responsibility is to my family and it may be more selfish to do something that would endanger it. I sometimes wish I was a huge guy, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything if they are carrying a weapon. Maybe it is just a kind of superhero complex.
I feel sad for those people. I pray that the woman will be safe. I feel sad for the guy who thinks that the way to get her back is to act like a psycho.
Another impulse I get when something like this happens is that I live in a crappy building. However, that is not the case. It is a brand new building, it has a 24-hour security guard in the lobby, and for the most part the people who live here are professionals who work downtown. I guess this can happen anywhere you live. People move out to the suburbs to feel safe and protected, but worse things than this still happen.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sad reality is that being hurt by someone you love brings out the psycho in all of us.