I just finished reading State of Fear by Michael Crichton. I used to read his books when I was a teenager and for some reason I am currently interested in reading stuff that I used to read when I was younger. I'm not sure why, maybe it has something to do with being a quarter of a century old and trying to recover my "lost youth". Anyway, some of the book is the typical Crichton stuff where people go on crazy adventures and barely survive. I guess I used to enjoy that style, but now it just seems like pulp fiction. However, the rest of the book is a discussion of environmentalism and the effects of media hype. It is really interesting. He uses a lot of scientific studies to show that global warming may not be happening but it is hyped in the media to ensure people are kept in fear. It is basically talking about the culture of fear that exists in western society. It is quite thought-provoking.
I still think it is important to be environmentally conscious, but we need to take media reports with a grain of salt.
Thunderbird 31 on Linux
11 years ago
4 comments:
Don't worry, I've regressed so much, I've been reading the Chronic-what?-cles of Narnia all over again.
I read that book a year or two ago and also found it interesting. I'm not much of a MC fan but someone gave it to me.
Speaking of the Chronicles - when the movie came out, Dave and I had a rare date and he insisted we see that movie. I assumed he read the books as a child but no! We were in the theatre with mostly 10 year olds...we lasted a good hour before we left, only for me to discover he'd heard talk about it and thought it would be a killer movie. ??
That was the real reason we separated. Yup. The Chronicles of Nar-break-up-your-marriage-over-it-nia.
Jeremy - I like your blog. Am I the only person who writes in theirs more than once a week?
September
Yes you are. It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.
September: I read some of your recent posts and am amazed how much you are able to write in such a short span. I'm also amazed at how much you are willing to share. It freaks me out a little to write anything that feels too private.
I'm glad to hear you are finding support and love at the church. Too often it seems it is not the case.
Be blessed this weekend. I am envious of the turkey dinners. Kristin and I couldn't come home this weekend so we are missing out, though we did get dinner at her Dad's house.
Post a Comment